Thumbprint Tree Project
June 4, 2012
We originally wrote these instructions as a Teacher Appreciation project, but with Father’s Day coming up, why not modify it and make a great Family Tree plate for Dad or Granddad?
Brilliant, you say? We think so too!
- Wipe down the piece with a damp sponge to make sure that no dust or dirt has settled on the piece.
- To really make the plate pop, coat it with three layers of White glaze. (Optional)
- Once your base coat is completely dry, trace the tree pattern (attached) directly onto the piece using Carbon Copy Paper.
- Use your own handwriting (or a printed version of the text and carbon copy paper) to add the personalized message across the top/bottom of the design (as shown).
- Use a paint brush (or for more character, the student’s thumbs!) to paint in the leaves with the Butter, Light Straw, Lima Bean, and Peacock glazes.
- Paint in the design of the tree with a very fine brush.
- Use a black paint pen to add the names of the students above each leaf, and for the personalized message.
- Dip the opposite end of your paint brush in the Lima Bean glaze and dab it on each end of your message to add colorful dots (as shown above)
Feel free to add or subtract additional limbs and leaves according to the number of students in the class!
Happy Painting, everyone!